Some time ago, I finished a gift for a Secret Santa exchange. Since the recipient should have it by now (and it's anonymous, so they wouldn't be able to find it anyway) I can share it here. Because the recipient was into Victorian era LARP, I knitted a vintage opera shawl from a 1874 knitting pattern from "Handbook to the work table". The result is this:
The shawl is knit with two types of yarn, one thin and one thick. I used DK and fingering, but I think next time I would use DK and laceweight. I had to use a filter here to show the diamond pattern in the photograph. As you can see, it has a clear good and bad side. Because the whole thing is knit in garter stitch, it doesn't curl. I did block it, so that the diamong pattern is a bit clearer as shown below:
The shawl is knit in DROPS Baby Merino and DROPS Merino. It was quite a challenge to persevere with this. Starting at the long side with 300 stitches (over 2 meters after blocking!) meant little progress for a lot of knitting for the first half of the shawl, and the black made it hard to see where to pick up stitches for the diamond pattern. However, I think the end result is very nice. There is something special about knitting something that people a century and a half ago actually wore. Hopefully I'll be able to knit more vintage patterns in the future!
Hi, I'm Mina and I have a stash problem. This is my way of trying to fix it.
Last yarn purchase:
Last fabric purchase: 02/03/2017