One of my coworkers recently had a baby, so I made her (and him) this cute little hat:
This coworker keeps bees as a hobby, which is why I chose this colour scheme and the little bee decoration. The pattern is Dino cap by Kris Hanson, although obviously without the spikes. It's an ingenious little hat that uses short rows to create the ear flaps, meaning that a double layer of fabric protects the ears and forehead. Here is a picture of the inside, showing this construction:
It's a pattern that is definitely worth making again. I made only minor changes. For a newborn, the straight part after joining the cast on edge seemed long, so I knit only 10 cm instead of the 11.5 in the pattern. I also cast off one decrease round early, as it was getting a little pointy. From other projects on Ravelry, I gather that this is a problem with the newborn size not quite scaling down right from the larger sizes. The fit of the larger sizes seems perfect. Next time, I will use a provisional cast on to try and make the join of the cast on edge and the live stitches after knitting the ear flaps a bit less prominent. Apart from that, however, I consider this a great success!
Hi, I'm Mina and I have a stash problem. This is my way of trying to fix it.
Last yarn purchase:
Last fabric purchase: 02/03/2017