If, reading that, you can see why that is a stupid idea, you are smarter than I am.
Because there were so many stitches on the needle, I didn't realise until after I had finished the blue block that this method meant that one shoulder contained twice as many rows as the rest of the sweater. I had created a hunchback, but on the shoulder. Not my proudest moment. So, I unraveled the whole block and knitted it up again with all the wrap-and-turns in the same place. It's on my back, so at least I can't see it myself.
While that problem was entirely my own doing, there were a few other things I felt were more a problem with the pattern. One of these is that the end result was a bit baggy. Here on the left is the sweater before taking in the sides and on the right the final version:
Another issue I had is that the squares seem smaller, proportionally speaking, in real life than they did in the pattern. I'm not sure if this is a result of me using the same yarn for both the squares and the sweater itself (the pattern calls for a lace-weight yarn for the squares, which is a nice effect for a cardigan but not very practical for a sweater), but to be honest I don't see how it could be.
Finally, the top of the blue square stretches to both sides because of the many decreases for the yoke in that row. Perhaps it would have made more sense to do gradual raglan-style decreases to avoid this problem.
The sweater was made using DROPS Air, a great, soft and very VERY warm yarn. It is very light, meaning you get a lot of meters in 50 grams and that a big garment like this isn't uncomfortably heavy. Modifications I made (apart from what was already mentioned) were lengthening the sleeves by about 6 cm and knitting only 8 cm of collar instead of 10 cm. The end result is a sweater I am looking forward to wearing a lot next winter.