The problem, or at least my problem, is that I had no knitting projects in progress. After I finished the Bauhaus sweater, I started two new sewing projects (the Burda dress and the long-sleeved knit dress from Bootstrap fashion), even though I already had a lot of sewing WIPs, instead of a new knitting project. Turns out I don't do well without a knitting project. Sewing projects are fun! But you can't do them while watching tv or Skyping with people, and they're not very portable.
So, to have a project I could take with me, I cast on for Julia Frank's Saxon the City stockings.
I have had these stockings in my queue since 2011. Back in January 2014, I got the yarn for it. I'm using DROPS Lima in red and black. And now, I've finally cast on!
Almost immediately, I ran into a problem. The other projects on Ravelry all have notes saying it's very important to make a size that's small enough to give you plenty of negative ease. Even though I intend to wear these with garters, that stuck in my mind. So for my 54 cm thighs, I cast on size small. And, having knit 3 Saxon braid pattern repeats so far, it fits... just. But it's stretched to the limit. It just doesn't look very nice, even though it does stay up reliably on its own like this. Before continueing, I'm going to cast on for a second stocking in the medium size and see how that fits. If that fits nicely, I will continue with that size. If I don't like the look or feel of that either... Then I guess the 5 year wait for this pattern was in vain.