Some time ago, I finished a gift for a Secret Santa exchange. Since the recipient should have it by now (and it's anonymous, so they wouldn't be able to find it anyway) I can share it here. Because the recipient was into Victorian era LARP, I knitted a vintage opera shawl from a 1874 knitting pattern from "Handbook to the work table". The result is this:
The shawl is knit with two types of yarn, one thin and one thick. I used DK and fingering, but I think next time I would use DK and laceweight. I had to use a filter here to show the diamond pattern in the photograph. As you can see, it has a clear good and bad side. Because the whole thing is knit in garter stitch, it doesn't curl. I did block it, so that the diamong pattern is a bit clearer as shown below:
The shawl is knit in DROPS Baby Merino and DROPS Merino. It was quite a challenge to persevere with this. Starting at the long side with 300 stitches (over 2 meters after blocking!) meant little progress for a lot of knitting for the first half of the shawl, and the black made it hard to see where to pick up stitches for the diamond pattern. However, I think the end result is very nice. There is something special about knitting something that people a century and a half ago actually wore. Hopefully I'll be able to knit more vintage patterns in the future!
One of my coworkers recently had a baby, so I made her (and him) this cute little hat:
This coworker keeps bees as a hobby, which is why I chose this colour scheme and the little bee decoration. The pattern is Dino cap by Kris Hanson, although obviously without the spikes. It's an ingenious little hat that uses short rows to create the ear flaps, meaning that a double layer of fabric protects the ears and forehead. Here is a picture of the inside, showing this construction:
It's a pattern that is definitely worth making again. I made only minor changes. For a newborn, the straight part after joining the cast on edge seemed long, so I knit only 10 cm instead of the 11.5 in the pattern. I also cast off one decrease round early, as it was getting a little pointy. From other projects on Ravelry, I gather that this is a problem with the newborn size not quite scaling down right from the larger sizes. The fit of the larger sizes seems perfect. Next time, I will use a provisional cast on to try and make the join of the cast on edge and the live stitches after knitting the ear flaps a bit less prominent. Apart from that, however, I consider this a great success!
Hi, I'm Mina and I have a stash problem. This is my way of trying to fix it.
Last yarn purchase:
Last fabric purchase: 02/03/2017